COVID-19: Death toll rises to 17 in Karnataka; seven new cases reported
Bengaluru: An 80-year-old man became the 17th COVID-19 fatality in Karnataka, where seven new cases of coronavirus were confirmed, taking the total number of infected in the state to 415, the health department said on Tuesday.
The elderly man, who died at a hospital in Kalaburagi in northern Karnataka, was a known case of Parkinson’s disease and bed ridden for the last three years, the department said in its mid-day situation update on COVID-19.
He was admitted to the designated hospital in Kalaburagi on April 19 with complaint of Severe Acute Respiratory Infection (SARI) and died on Monday and his test report later confirmed he was infected with coronavirus.
Earlier in the day, announcing the fresh death, Medical Education Minister K Sudhakar said the man died at 9 am on Monday.
“…last night at 9 pm the death report came, which confirmed that he was COVID-19 positive,” he tweeted.
Seven new positive cases, including the deceased in Kalaburagi, have been reported from last evening till this noon, the health department said.
“Till date 415 COVID-19 positive cases have been confirmed. This includes 17 deaths and 114 discharges,” it said.
Of the other six new cases, three are from Vijayapura, two from Kalaburagi, and one from Bantwala in Dakshina Kannada district with four of them being women.
Four out of seven are contacts of patients already tested positive, two are with history of SARI and one with Influenza-like illness (ILI).